Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eric Hurley and the Ongoing Ranger Pitcher Curse

I'm so bummed by the news we got today. Before the Rangers acquired all the players they did in the summer of '07, the Rangers had one exciting pitching prospect that was close to the majors and that was Eric Hurley. Not only do I love his name but I loved watching him on the mound last year. He pitched great. To watch a pitching prospect come up from the minors and have success, in the Ballpark mind you, was very encouraging. Hurley was not expected to be an ace. Hurley was a solid young pitcher.

I can name you a lot of number 3 and 4's that made a solid rotation, but I'm not going to waste my time doing all the research. 3 and 4's win World Series and that's what Hurley would have been. I loved it when the Rangers brought him up last year and then later when they brought up Matt Harrison. Neither would have been an ace in a good organization, but both would have been solid pitchers. I could see each winning 15 or more a year. Harrison is still healthy and I'm glad the lefty has shown some success in the majors. More will come from him, but to lose Hurley, a Ranger home grown, kind of bothers a Ranger fan more than Harrison's success.

I'm not speaking for everybody because you have to love the fact that Harrison, remember left handed, is having success. Hurley put up a better ERA though in his brief healthy stint as a Ranger, not to mention it was all while the Rangers were still in a playoff race (Shocker).

I think JD & Co. have figured out how to handle their young talent and having Nolan Ryan as a mentor to young pitchers, majors or minors, gives Rangers fans hope for the future. Funny how Ranger bats end up dominating (thank you Jaramillo) and the pitchers all end up getting hurt or roughing it through Arlington.

Have an open mind to the Ballpark's pitching conditions. It may be hot, it may be a hitter's park, and it just might have all those breezes so often talked about, but remember Nolan figured out how to pitch in Texas with success. That in itself proves injuries and heat exhaustion can be avoided.

Figure out how to win in Arlington and your offense will provide the V's.

2 comments:

  1. You never said what happened to Eric Hurley. You can't assume that your audience knows that he had shoulder surgery is out for the entire 2009 baseball season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have forgotten to add that in my frustration/rant.

    To clarify: Eric Hurley is out for the entire 2009 baseball season after undergoing shoulder surgery on his rotator cuff.

    Thanks for the comment. I'm going to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete